Saturday, March 3, 2012

Old/New Ticonderoga

Our honeymoon in 2001. Fort Ticonderoga is in the distance.


Finished reading The Scarlet Letter yesterday and started skimming over my notes. In the introduction, Hawthorne wrote several sketches of characters he observed while working in the Salem Custom House. 


One of these sketches was of the Collector, a "gallant old General":
To observe and define his character...was as difficult a task as to trace out and build up anew, in imagination, an old fortress, like Ticonderoga, from a view of its grey and broken ruins. Here and there, perchance, the walls may remain almost complete; but elsewhere may be only a shapeless mound, cumbrous with its very strength, and overgrown, through long years of peace and neglect, with grass and alien weeds.


So of course I had to get out our honeymoon album and revisit my 
happy memories of Fort Ticonderoga.

Inside the fort -- an amazing restoration.

To prove we were there.

5 comments:

  1. All I can think about when I see these pictures is Wow, that little kid grew up! I haven't seen your husband in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it has been a long time, Melissa :) These pictures were taken 10 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these pics. This is how I think of you. We first met shortly after you and Joe married. Thanks for sharing these pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics! What kind of camera? I just read a book about called Why Read Moby Dick? and had a lot about the influence of Hawthorne on Melville. You might like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Carol!
    I stopped by your blog this morning and left a rambling comment.
    Loved your post.
    I have a copy reserved at my local library right now. Can't wait to read it. I sent a couple of my WEM blog-friends your way too.
    We are getting geared up for Moby Dick!!

    I don't remember what kind of camera we used on our honeymoon. It was a 35mm. For this post I took pictures of my prints with my Sony Cyber Shot and edited them in Picasa.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana