Monday, April 30, 2012

The Book That Changed My Life




Some time ago I received a phone call from the librarian at my local public library. She called to tell me that she had been looking over records and found that since the card catalog had been computerized about twenty years ago, I had checked out more books than any other person in my county. 

I was surprised by this news and also perplexed. All these years I have been seeking for something, but what? And why, after pouring through many stacks of lofty titles, did I still feel ignorant? 

I realized that it was time to submit myself to a list of recommended reading.

Lately, I have noticed a lot of literary bloggers referring to the moment when they "turned to the classics." It sounds like such a life changing, momentous event. And it is.

What I'll be reading for the next several months.
                                                                
Classics are books which, the more we think we know them by hearsay, the more original, unexpected, and innovative we find them when we actually read them. -- Italo Calvino

How has The Well-Educated Mind changed me?


The first time I read The Well-Educated Mind, I was living in a basement apartment with my husband and two small children. I had dropped out of college to get married and I was starting to feel intellectual withdrawal. In her book, I discovered Susan Wise Bauer's advice for reading through five different types of literature: fiction, autobiography, history and politics, drama, and poetry. She explains how to read each type by following the tried and true method of the classical trivium. She quotes Sir Francis Bacon: "Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." --
[Bacon] was suggesting that not every book is worthy of serious attention. But the three levels of understanding he describes -- tasting, swallowing, and digesting -- reflect his familiarity with classical education. In the classical school, learning is a three-part process. First, taste: Gain basic knowledge of your subject. Second, swallow: Take the knowledge into your own understanding by evaluating it. Is it valid? Is it true? Why? Third, digest: Fold the subject into your own understanding. Let it change the way you think-- or reject is as unworthy.
Reading Susan Wise Bauer's words, I felt as though an older, wiser friend had come along beside me, offering to be my guidance counselor. I began to shape a plan for a dream that could be accomplished over my lifetime. 

Now that I have five children, allotting time for my classical education often feels daunting -- some days I don't get to it at all -- but I'm inching forward and the reward is always worth the effort.


I started out alone on my quest. I had never heard of a "blog" and I knew no one personally who was interested in working through the lists with me. A big part of the process in a classical education is conversing with a rhetoric partner, but I didn't find mine until recently. After I started Classical Quest, I did a Google search and discovered a A Classic Case of Madness, a blog authored by three mothers who are also working their way through the WEM lists. I had started with the autobiography list; they were going through the novel list. Switching lists midstream was not a decision I made lightly (the lists are arranged chronologically). But now that I've worked through two novels alongside them, I realize that I made the right choice. They put up new posts from our reading nearly every day and some mornings I start my day laughing myself to tears over what they have written.


The Great Books have been likened to "intellectual NordicTrack machines", helpful for preventing atrophy of the mind. This is a good analogy, but my favorite imagery is food --


I have noticed that readers of the classics always seem to have in common a love for sumptuous food. Perhaps science will one day prove that a refined palette and a love for classic literature are genetically intertwined; regardless, the analogy of food is a good way to describe what reading a classic work does for me -- It feeds me. Entering into "The Great Conversation", I have found I'm not eating alone. I am joining into a shared experience with countless others through the ages.

Some of what I have experienced:
Augustine’s Confessions, which contains some of my all-time favorite quotes, provided a buffet for my soul during a trying time. I have laughed out loud to the tongue-in-cheek humor in Moby-Dick which others have laughed at for 150 years.  I have developed a love/hate relationship with Michel de Montaigne after reading his Essays a few months ago -- yet, more and more, I find myself referring back to his tips for living a good life. I have silently wept over Uncle Tom's Cabin and thought: This is why this book started a war. And now I know by experiencing these books for myself, not just by being told about them second hand.
Books I've read since I started working through the WEM lists.



If you are interested in reading through the Great Books on the WEM lists, I would love to hear from you! I am in the process of compiling a "Well-Educated Mind Blog Directory", which I know will be a means of support and encouragement for those on this quest. 


You are also welcome to join me in reading any particular book on the list.  Please leave a comment to let me know!

To view the complete WEM list go HERE.

30 comments:

  1. I deleted my original comment because I thought it had published twice. Kind of a loser; sorry. I wanted to tell you how wonderful it is to feel that one is not alone in studying the classics. They bring me joy, but I rarely find anyone with whom I can discuss what I have read. I actually covered this topic in my other blog Walden Pond: Revisited. Henry David Thoreau was frustrated that most people read fluff and nonsense rather than standing on tip-top to read what is truly of worth. Thanks for being the kindred spirit I have looked for. You can find my blogs at ardithsquest.blogspot.com and waldenpondrevisited.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always glad to meet a new kindred spirit. So glad you introduced yourself!

      I agree: Reading through the classics is an experience best shared.

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful post! I'll have to check out The Well Educated Mind right away. You should also read Father James Schall's Another Sort of Learning. It's a great book about making up for the shortcomings in our educations. It really influenced me as a teacher--and as a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Sort of Learning looks good. I had a sample sent to my Kindle. Thank you for that tip!

      Delete
  3. Adriana, this is just beautiful. I can't believe you checked out the most books from your library! And yet it's so interesting that you didn't feel you were getting much of a payback from all that reading.

    Thanks for sharing your experience with the classics. I'm definitely interested in approaching the classics with more purpose. It's been years since I read The Well-Educated Mind. I think it's definitely time for a re-read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true Anne: The connections that I'm making by disciplining myself to work through the classics in a methodical way are astonishing me. It's addictive!

      Thank you for your encouragement. What a fun blog carnival!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post! I'm over halfway through Montaigne's essays; I've been reading them since last year and LOVE him. And you're making me want to read my copy of The Well-Educated Mind now, not later. x :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got mad at Montaigne and slammed the book shut once. But I love him too. I like to think of him as my quirky rich uncle who lives in a chateau.

      Always good to hear from you Jillian!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this wonderful post! : ) You have completely inspired me, and I am eager to join in! I just placed a hold on The Well-Educated Mind at my library. Do you recommend starting with Uncle Tom's Cabin, so I can read along with you and the women at A Classic Case of Madness?

    Your website is beautiful -- I've been reading your past posts and enjoying them immensely! So glad I discovered your blog through the your link at Modern Mrs. Darcy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by, Sandy! I am thrilled that you are inspired to join in the quest!

      I recommend that you read The Well-Educated Mind first and then ponder your approach. SWB makes a good case for reading chronologically through history. If you do, you will witness the history of the novel unfold before you and you will recognize the influence of preceding novels as you go. (I am planning to work in the novels I skipped over when I joined up with CCOM.)

      That being said, if I had to choose between:
      A. Start at the beginning of the list and read through in perfect chronological order all by myself.
      B. Start mid-list and read along with friends.

      -- I'd go with "B" hands down!

      Delete
  6. Now that we are home and hitting summer, I am jumping on board to read the classics. Did you remember our email address? intheduckblind at alaska dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Yipee!!

      And yes, I did remember your email address. I don't think I could ever forget it!

      Delete
  7. Ditto! I have been waiting to see what your life-changing book was going to be. I have to agree. I am so glad that I decided to read the WEM and USE IT! I love it, and I look to continuing the journey even long after I exhaust her list. (God willing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ruth. When I first started WEM, I could not see the end in sight! Now I have started a "Life After WEM" list.

      When we complete the journey, we are going to need some nifty "I survived WEM." t-shirts or something. I need to jump over to Peace Hill Press and see if they make any! :)

      Delete
  8. I must agree with the previous commenters: I think it's time to re-read WEM and actually get started on those lists! When I first read it several years ago I wanted to get started, but didn't have anyone else who was doing the same. It's so encouraging to know there's lots of people on the web who are interested in getting a classical education of their own! It might be time to start an additional blog for this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, this is why I LOVE blogging. I used to feel so frustrated when I would come across an earth-shattering insight and I had no one the discuss it with. I've noticed that at the mention of classic literature, most people's eyes glaze over. Making new WEM friends is just thrilling!!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful post,Adriana. Your insights are inspiring and I'm also, so, so glad to find others on the WEM journey. (And I love the idea of an "I survived the WEM" t-shirt!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really glad you joined us for Moby-Dick, Tonia. Can't wait to hear your thoughts about it when you finish!

    Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are homeschooling our children, using a classical approach. Sounds like my husband and I both need to work through WEM.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. I'm glad you brought this up!
    My rhetoric partners at A Classic Case of Madness homeschool. Their children often read abridged versions of the WEM novels. It seems to work really well for them.

    Here is an example of a short post in which Christine's oldest daughter takes on the UNABRIDGED Moby-Dick:

    http://classiccaseofmadness.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/it-is-on/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited to discover that you and the women at CCOM and so many others are doing exactly what I desire to do. It gives me hope that I'm not so strange after all, because I can totally relate to talking to people about the books I'm reading and having them tune out. I'm starting a blog of my own about reading the classics and educating myself. (pursuitofliber@blogspot.com) I'm not very experienced, but I hope to learn as a I go and glean ideas from others. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for introducing yourself Shauna! You are definitely not alone.

    I visited your blog and noticed you've already read several titles on the novel list. I'd love to know your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love WEM and have read it at least twice. I still don't really want to read Don Quixote though! (I did try.) I'll look forward to reading your progress through the lists. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is such a treat to hear from you Jean! I love your blog, "Howling Frog Books". You are always welcome to join us for a read-a-long here and there at your leisure. We are reading Madame Bovary next, then Crime and Punishment, then Anna Karenina (the Classic Club's top pick according to a re-blog I read at Jillian's yesterday). It seems you are already well-educated, so any insights you provide will certainly help me on my way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, thank you! Madame Bovary is on my list for this summer, so I will hope to be able to join you for that, and for AK which I really want to read. (Trouble is, I really want to read everything.) I cannot look my Russian SIL in the face until I do--it's her favorite book.

    My whole problem is that I *want* to be well-educated and am not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really hope you will be able to join us for those. The ladies at CCOM are amazing. I just sit at their feet and eat the crumbs from their table. Seriously -- they are keeping me on track. I have a very bad habit of jumping to conclusions and formulating an opinion during my first reading of a book. Both WEM and CCOM have helped me to slow down and digest things thoroughly.

    And I know what you mean: even if I live to be 100, I won't be able to read everything I want to!

    Also -- I meant to tell you I noticed you have Why We Can't Wait on your Classics Club list. I'm reading it along with Uncle Tom's Cabin. Really poignant. I've written lots of "Amens" in the margins of both books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did you ever finish your sail on the Pequod? I haven't been checking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes! I finished it in April. Glad I read it Carol. I carved my favorite quotes down to 40, but I haven't written any posts about them yet. I've become very absorbed with Harriet Beecher Stowe. I love that woman.

    Thanks for checking in on me! Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely post. I'm here from The Classics Club :) I have The Well Educated Mind on my bookshelf right now and you've inspired me to get to it sooner rather than later.

    The Relentless Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you took time to introduce yourself, Jennifer! I would love to know your thoughts on The Well Educated Mind. Perhaps you will join my rhetoric partners and me for a some synchro-reading in the future!

      I took a peek at The Relentless Reader.(Great blog title!) I look forward to getting to know you better!

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana