Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Moby-Dick: The Experience

The goal of my quest is to obtain a more enriching life experience. (And perhaps become a little smarter too while I'm at it.) This is something that can be achieved through reading great literature. By entering the Great Conversation of the ages. I read old books to think great thoughts.
 We believe, with our technology, that we have reinvented life. But this is not the case. The gadgets that surround us are minor details, the essence of life remains unchanged. It feels the same to be alive today as it did a thousand years ago.
Hence I turn to the old classics to find new stuff to chew on.

For the next few weeks I will be sharing my favorite quotes from Moby-Dick. Starting today with a famous one from chapter one, "Loomings":

I love to sail forbidden seas and land on barbarous coasts. 
I can sail forbidden seas and land on barbarous coasts anytime with a good book. My family thinks I'm normal, predictable Mom, what they don't see is that I've spent the last month on a whale-ship hanging out with a cannibal who stabs his breakfast with his harpoon (among others).

If they only knew.


2 comments:

  1. LOL! Certain books can make us feel like we are in the story ourselves. I haven't read Moby Dick, but it's already in my list

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana