Thursday, September 6, 2012

Happenings: Why I'm Not Homeschooling My Kids



My classical quest has truly come to feel like a physical quest to me --  you know the storybook kind with lots of hills, valleys and dark forests. This summer, I've struggled to stay on the path. There have been more than a few obstacles to overcome. 
At this moment I feel as though I'm standing on a pinnacle looking back over the last several months. 

Last winter, two weeks before my fifth baby was born, we put our oldest two kids in public school. Before this event, public school was never an option. I really thought we would homeschool until all our chicks left the nest. Long after it stopped working for us, I kept chanting, "I will work HARDER!" over and over. (Have you ever read Animal Farm, by George Orwell? There was an old work horse who always said, "I will work HARDER!" whenever things went awry. Eventually he was sent to the glue factory. I've always related to this character for some disconcerting reason.)

To be perfectly honest, when my kids were home they weren't always being schooled. My long, rough bout with morning sickness caused everyone to fall far behind. At eight months pregnant, I  often fell asleep during their lessons. My pre-school aged kids watched too much Netflix. I felt guilty for taking any rest during the day. It seemed the whole future of civilization depended on whether or not I could hold things together! (Indeed, a lot of homeschool moms feel this way; I've known some to crack under the pressure.) My husband came home to a frazzled wife every day. On days when we got a good bit of school work done, the house was a wreck and dinner was frozen pizza. On days when there was a nice home-cooked meal and a reasonably clean house, school didn't happen.
Homeschooling was a hard thing for me to give up. You could say I was "beating a dead horse" and I didn't stop beating it until after the horse had been dead so long it was beginning to stink. That's when my husband sat down with me. He gently grasped both my hands, looked me straight in the eyes and said, "We are going to put the kids in public school and they are going to be fine."

I'm very grateful to the homeschool movement for bringing classical self-education back into vogue.  I wonder if I would be on this quest now if it were not for my homeschool connections. Part of me will always be a homeschool mom at heart. My husband and I talk frequently about the possibility of bringing our older children home in the future -- but for now we are simply taking it a year at at time.

One thing is for certain, my children's public school teachers rescued us last year. I have immense appreciation for them now. When (and if) we homeschool again, I will not do it out of fear. ("I must protect my kids from the system.") And hopefully I won't do it in a spirit of pride. ("I can do a better job than my local school teachers can.") I feel sorry for the judgmental feelings I used to have about anything public school related and I feel sad that I have been guilty of showing disappointment toward families who "gave up" and put their kids into the system in the past.


Some have expressed surprise and even consternation over our schooling decision. I don't really owe anyone an explanation, but as a blog author with a loyal following, I feel as though it is time to communicate some reasoning and clear up the misconception that I put my kids into a brick & mortar school so I could have more time for myself -- for reading through the classics and self-education. We didn't put them in for that reason, but now that they are in, yes, obviously I have more time for writing and reading! Also, I have more time to prepare meals for seven people, keep up on housework and have precious one-on-one time with my two little ones who are still at home!
What has this leg of the journey taught me? Humility, empathy and perseverance -- in that order.

What is your life-quest teaching you?

25 comments:

  1. We can only work so hard! I am sure your kids will be fine. Homeschooling a large brood is a huge job and I have never been sure I'd be able to hack it; I have two kids (9 and 12) and I can just barely hang on. Enjoy this season of your life and the time you'll have with your two littles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautifully expressed. It sounds like your family is flourishing now -- so glad you are doing what is right for your particular family! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. What is right for us may not work at all for another family! It certainly does feel good to be thriving after a such a long struggle.

      Delete
  3. You are a wonderful mother, and I am glad that you finally have the energy to truly enjoy the time you spend with your children. Anybody who knows you, or even reads your blog, can sense your deep love for your family. Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been so honest and open about your decisions. I admire you vulnerability. It is a wonderful thing to do what's best for our children, especially when it doesn't follow the dreams and plans that we made and stored in our hearts. You have followed the leading of your huband in this decision and your children are flourishing. You are blessing your family every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Christine! You have been there to support and encourage me every step of the way. You were the voice of calm on the days I called you weeping -- and I could always count on you to rejoice with me on the days I got it right!

      Delete
  5. Whether it's a Christian private school, public school or home school they all have their plus and minuses. I went to public and one year to a private. I am glad I went to both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good point, Lucas. I too had an eclectic education. I went to public school for my grade-school years, private middle school and I was homeschooled for most of high school. I could definitely list benefits and drawbacks for each type.

      Delete
  6. "... clear up the misconception that I put my kids into a brick & mortar school so I could have more time for myself"

    Seriously, Adriana, anyone who jumped to that conclusion just isn't worth worrying about. Public school is a fine choice, home-schooling is a fine choice, independent studies is a fine choice, a combination of any or all of them is a fine choice. Which just goes to show that you and your family have made a FINE CHOICE about schooling!

    Nicely done.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, like Lucas said: private school is a fine choice too!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the affirmation Tim. I agree -- the important thing is for a child to receive an EDUCATION one way or another!

      (It also helps to have a happy, sane mommy who is not severely sleep deprived for months on end.)

      Delete
  7. You have to find what is best for your family. What a blessing you have a husband who is in tune to your well-being.

    I admit I have developed some radical views about why I homeschool, but that is what motivates me, or I will pull my hair out. Just today I was thinking, "How did Laura Ingalls teach a room full of multi-aged kids?" (b/c my 4- and 5-year olds are so distracting and easily distracted!) Did you ever read my homeschool testimony (http://conservativehomeschool.blogspot.com)? It's not an easy road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hopped over to read your homeschool post. Thank you for sharing about your journey. "Epic Adventures" sounds really fascinating. If we homeschool in the future, I will be sure to check it out. I own The Story of the World series by SWB and lately I have been reading aloud from Vol.1 before family devotions at night.

      Delete
  8. So proud of you, Adriana!!! Beautifully expressed. SO excited for all of you as you press on in life. As my Robbie tells me all the time: "Make the best decision you can with the information you have, and you can always change your mind tomorrow." :-) I love that. It's freed me up from so much false guilt and anxiety. :-) XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krista -- You are one of the "strong new bonds" I mentioned that has "refreshed my spirit and fortified me for the road ahead"!

      I love Robbie's advice. I should stick that over my kitchen sink where I often ponder decisions. :)

      Delete
  9. Bravo, Andrea! These decisions take courage. The hardest (and most courageous) part of life is a decision for change. We naturally want to continue along the same path, holding onto our previous decision, not wanting to admit change is required. I understand. I actually did the reverse - decided last year TO homeschool - having always been opposed to the idea. How long will we continue? I haven't a clue. I prayerfully consider each year and then go with the flow with what the Lord places on my heart. Because the Holy Spirit lives within you, you are no longer bound by pre-determined notions from society or yourself. Your kids will thrive. They will shine. Sparkle. Glow. Why? Not because they go to a public/private/home school, but because they are children of the King, God's glorious creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Because the Holy Spirit lives within you, you are no longer bound by pre-determined notions from society or yourself." That is so good. Thank you for these beautiful, affirming words!

      Delete
  10. I applaud you with being open and honest about the tough road and situation that you've faced. I can only imagine how full your days must be with so many chicks in the nest! I pray this new season will be filled with blessing for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't freedom to make choices and changes a great thing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a great thing to know your own limitations. It is what keeps us sane.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana