Saturday, February 9, 2013

Booked: Literature in the Soul of Me (A Review)

by Adriana


I love to read  promiscuously. 

If you've followed this blog for any length of timeperhaps this is something you've noticed.


Many, perhaps even most, well-meaning Christians from my conservative circle would consider my reading habits excessively liberal. In fact, I've been pressed to defend my preferences more than a few times. Some of the titles I've read could easily have been chosen as fodder for the book burnings I witnessed a few times as a child. 

Still I read on.
 


Now and then my quest feels daunting. I'm always grateful to receive encouragement from Christian intellectuals whom I respect. For the past several months, I have enjoyed being part of the growing community at Tim Fall's blog, Just One Train Wreck After Another. Not long ago, Tim posted a review of Booked: Literature in the Soul of Me by Karen Swallow Prior, Professor of English at Liberty University. 

The mere idea of Booked intrigued me immensely. Tim quoted Prior's insights on what reading promiscuously means and why it is an important habit to cultivate. I had never heard of an Evangelical apologetic for reading indiscriminately beforeThe day Tim put up his "Hooked by Booked" review, I flew straight over to Amazon and loaded the book to my Kindle within seconds.



What a joy it was for me to read Dr. Prior's insights! In Booked she articulates the need for stories with candor, grace, and wisdom: 
I know that spiritual formation is of God, but I also know -- mainly because I learned it from books -- that there are other kinds of formation, too, everyday gifts, and that God uses the things of the earth to teach us and shape us, and to help us find the truth.



I am certain that God is leading me on my quest.  He draws me farther and deeper with my reading; consistently nudging me through the Holy Spirit to probe and listen carefully, and to examine ideas in the light of Holy Scripture. 


As Prior says,
. . . God who spoke the world into existence with words is, in fact, the source of meaning of all words. My journey toward that discovery is the story of this book. I thought my love of books was taking me away from God, but as it turns out, books were the backwards path to God, bramble-filled and broken, yes, but full of truth and wonder.

 

In Booked, Prior parallels key moments of her own coming-of-age story with the literature that helped shape her. I was thrilled to find several titles featured which are also part of the reading lists from The Well Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer (Jane EyreGulliver's TravelsMadame Bovary, and John Donne's Metaphysical poetry), as well as other titles from authors we WEMers are familiar with now (Dickens and Hardy). Prior cleverly connects her own unique memories with poignant literary scenes any avid reader would find apropos.
Discovering truth is a process that occurs over time, more fully with each idea or book that gets added to the equation. Sure, many of the books I read in my youth filled my head with silly notions and downright lies that I mistook for truth, but only until I read something else that exposed the lie for what it was.


Prior points to John Milton, who held that "the best books to a naughty mind are not unapplicable to occasions of evil"; whereas "bad books, to a discreet and judicious reader serve in many respects to discover, to confute, to forewarn, to illustrate."




Since reading Booked, I've thought a good deal about how literature has shaped my life. There are titles which stand out, in hindsight, as having proved crucial to my formation. Perhaps some of my reflections might show up in future blog posts here.

For me, the experience of reading has always felt much like entering into a conversation. And fittingly, classic literature is sometimes referred to as the "Great Conversation." Through reading widely I'm learning how to listen, discern, and empathize -- how to "examine everything carefully and hold fast that which is good."



I read to better understand both my world and myself. Great literature delights, elevates -- and at the same time it humbles. I am grateful that God often uses it to coax open the eyes of my soul. Ever so patiently He leads me to glimpses of Himself in nature and in the highest works of art which humankind has made.

19 comments:

  1. This is great, Adriana. I've considered this book a must-read ever since I read reviews of it on Tim's blog & elsewhere -- now I just have to get it! As I read somewhere, "We do not judge great literature -- it judges us." It's a worthy pursuit to seek God's truth & beauty in everything we see around us. Enjoying the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, I know you are going to love Booked! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. I'm enjoying the journey with you too, friend. :)

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful reflection on Booked and on literature in general, Adriana. Words can't help but affect us, and great words can affect us greatly under God's hand. And I am so pleased that you like Booked; I had hoped it would be right up your alley!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Words can't help but affect us, and great words can affect us greatly under God's hand."

      That is quotable, Tim. I love that.

      I can't recall when I've enjoyed a modern memoir so much. In many ways I felt like KSP was telling my story! This book encouraged me to press forward with confidence. Thank you for recommending it to me!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely! I struggled with this, too, that maybe, as a Christian, I should not be so concerned with reading books (period).

    But I read two books prior, which gave me a different perspective: Lit! by Tony Reinke, is about Christian discernment in Classical literature, and (one I told you about), EPIC - The Story God is Telling by John Eldredge, is a tiny book on how we are in the midst of God's epic story of good verses evil, love verses hate, heroes verses villains. All these themes are repeated in literature, and that is why we are so drawn to those themes...because we know them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, "we know them". That's true. I need to pick up EPIC, Ruth. I'm glad it inspired you to read through the classics because this quest would not be the same without you!

      I'm grateful that though the community I was raised in strongly discouraged indiscriminate reading, my parents left much of what I read up to my own discretion.

      Delete
  4. I have not heard about this book but your review made me reflect.
    As I read books I sometimes hear the Holy Spirit. Even in reading books He is our guide :) Sometimes you would know if the author is guided or not by the story he weaves. There are books that makes you wonder why it has to end that way. Also others why the author made the characters behave that way.

    And sometimes I read great books and suddenly sex scenes appear. haha. How do you go about that? Honestly, I skip. But sometimes I read through it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sometimes you would know if the author is guided or not by the story he weaves." Yes tabulyogang, I believe that is true.

      In many classic novels sex is implied. For example, in Anna Karenina it is described as follows:

      "That which had been for almost a year the one absorbing desire of Vronsky's life, replacing all his old desires; that which for Anna had been impossible, terrible, and even for that reason more entrancing dream of bliss, that desire had been fulfilled. He stood before her, pale, his lower jaw quivering, and besought her to be calm, not knowing how or why."

      In the event that you should come upon details more explicit than these, I would suggest that you seek counsel from an older, wiser Christian lady you trust. :) Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Yes, that helps. I do not know any Christian lady older than me who reads. I know a few online though but not close enough that i can discuss things like these. I have decided long ago to stop if it's already too explicit but sometimes I get tempted. weeeee. Anyway, I have already read the first chapters of Anna Karenina and stopped for a while. I cannot seem to get over the idiotic smile. (I forgot his name but his wife confronted him about having an affair and smiled like an idiot) I cannot get over because I have than that too. I know just what he feels. It's like a reflex, you just smile when guilty and it's stupid. :) Thank you!!!

      Delete
  5. I'm so honored that BOOKED found its way to your bookshelf and to this blog! I'm especially thrilled to see Milton's message spread. We who love Truth should believe more in its power! Thank you for such wonderful reflections on BOOKED and for sharing them.

    Karen Swallow Prior

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The honor is mine, Dr. Prior. Your insights and reflections touched me deeply. Thank you for pointing me toward John Milton's essay Aeropagitica and inspiring me to take courage in the path that is before me. Blessings!

      Delete
  6. I am so thrilled that you have found the assurance you needed to pursue what your heart already knew was good. :-) We need stories to broaden our understanding, deepen our compassion, and strengthen our enjoyment of all things that delight us. Wishing you much happy reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the same to you, my dear Krista! Blessings, friend. :)

      Delete
  7. Adriana,

    I am so excited to watch as this journey impacts you and you use it to grow and learn. It is thrilling to share in your journey. Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you!

    Many Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for supporting me every step of the way, Christine! Blessings to you as well!

      Delete
  8. We are twins. :) Reading Booked right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carol, I'm so delighted to be your twin. :) I can't wait to find out what you think of Booked.

      Delete
  9. LOL! Maybe I heard about it from your blog! I cannot remember where it was I first heard about it, but I had my library order it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing at myself, Carol. After I gave you the link I came back over here and saw your previous comment! :) So funny.

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana