Friday, February 22, 2013

The Beautiful Expression of Her Dark Eyes

Lately I've been following a wonderful blog called Scribblepreach. I've noticed once a week the author, Nick McDonald, puts up a post that is simply a quote pulled from his reading. I love that idea! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? Nick is a very thoughtful writer. Also, and he and his wife are working on a children's book together! I hope you'll take the time to check out his blog.


So introducing the Classical Quest "Friday Quote":
Mr. Darcy had at first scarcely allowed [Elizabeth] to be pretty; he had looked at her without admiration at the ball; and when they next met, he looked at her only to criticize. But no sooner had he made it clear to himself and his friends that she had hardly a good feature in her face than he began to find it was rendered uncommonly intelligent by the beautiful expression of her dark eyes. To this discovery succeeded some others equally mortifying. Though he had detected with a critical eye more than one failure of perfect symmetry in her form, he was forced to acknowledge her figure to be light and pleasing; and in spite of his asserting that her manners were not those of the fashionable world, he was caught by their easy playfulness. Of this she was perfectly unaware; -- to her he was only the man who made himself agreeable nowhere, and who had not thought her handsome enough to dance with.
~ Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 

14 comments:

  1. I love this quote. This is one of my favorite passages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "More than one failure in perfect symmetry of her form"!! That's hilarious actually! (She had THREE dark eyes, but they were darn pretty ones... and the fact that one hand had six fingers only enhanced her ability to do needlepoint....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me of the Sesame Street clip, "My Martian Cutie". Only the Martian beauty has nine eyes. It's too bad Blogger won't let me post videos in my comments section. I can post videos on Tim's blog all day long.

      Maybe I'll stick it on FB. I've got a free evening and I'm headed over there soon to fire up the Synchro-Read.

      Delete
    2. OK Jeannie, It's up. I put another little surprise up for you too! ;)

      Delete
    3. What do you know: beauty IS in the eye of the beholder!

      Or eyes, depending how many you have.

      Delete
  3. I like the follow-up to this passage in Chapter 6:

    "My mind was more agreeably engaged. I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow."

    Miss Bingley immediately fixed her eyes on his face, and desired he would tell her what lady had the credit of inspiring such reflections. Mr. Darcy replied with great intrepidity --

    "Miss Elizabeth Bennet."

    "Miss Elizabeth Bennet!" repeated Miss Bingley. "I am all astonishment. How long has she been such a favourite? -- and pray, when am I to wish you joy?"

    "That is exactly the question which I expected you to ask. A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony, in a moment. I knew you would be wishing me joy."


    And 8:

    "I am afraid, Mr. Darcy," observed Miss Bingley, in a half-whisper, "that this adventure has rather affected your admiration of her fine eyes."

    "Not at all," he replied; "they were brightened by the exercise."


    Poor Darcy, can't see what's coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's danger I tell you, DANGER!

      And I love how Miss Bingley is SO jealous. he he he...

      Great quotes, Tim. Thanks for adding these.

      Delete
  4. haha, i love that quote, where it all begins!

    "Though he had detected with a critical eye more than one failure of perfect symmetry in her form" o_O like really? that is a critical eye indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly suspect that Mr. Darcy will develop a strong appreciation for the beauty of ASYMMETRY before it's all said and done. Do you agree, Tabulyogang? ;)

      (We human beings would look ridiculous if we were perfectly symmetrical anyway! Silly Darcy.)

      Delete
    2. haha, yes I agree! I can see it coming!

      I cannot imagine what a perfectly symmetrical human being is! If there is.

      Delete
  5. I just want to add that I like the idea of the weekly quotation. Another blog I follow, Mama:Monk, does the same thing: she writes it on a blackboard & puts up the picture. Sometimes just a few words that are meaningful to us can really speak to others too. And sometimes it's just fun to savour the wording, as in the quote above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've have to check out Mama:Monk. Thank you for the feedback, Jeannie. Glad you like the idea! :)

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana