Friday, March 29, 2013

Friday Quote: The River of the Water of Life


For this Friday's quote I'm re-posting  a status update I made on the Classical Quest Facebook page on February 11, 2013.

Today I took my baby for a walk on a path beside a river. On a whim I brought along my Kindle and hooked it into the front of my sweater. Such a lovely unseasonably warm day! I touched "play" and this is exactly where the passage started:
I saw then that [Christian and Hopeful] went on their way to a pleasant River, which David the King called the 'River of God'; but John, 'The River of the Water of Life'. Now their way lay just upon the bank of the River: here therefore Christian and his Companion walked with great delight; they drank also of the water of the River, which was pleasant and enlivening to their weary spirits: besides, on the banks of this River on either side were green Trees, that bore all manner of Fruit; and the Leaves of the Trees were good for Medicine; with the Fruit of these Trees they were also much delighted; and the Leaves they ate to prevent Surfeits, and other Diseases that are incident to those that heat their blood by Travels. On either side of the River was also a Meadow, curiously beautiful with Lilies; and it was green all the year long. In this Meadow they lay down and slept, for here they might lie down safely. When they awoke they gathered again of the Fruit of the Trees, and drank again of the water of the River, and then lay down again to sleep. Thus they did several days and nights. Then they sang,
        
Behold ye how these Cristal streams do glide,
(To comfort Pilgrims) by the High-way side;
The Meadows green, beside their fragrant smell,
Yield dainties for them: And he that can tell
What pleasant fruit; yea Leaves, these Trees do yield,
Will soon sell all, that he may buy this field.
John Bunyan, The Pilgrim's Progress 

Have a blessed Easter, friends!



7 comments:

  1. This is like your Narnia moment, Adriana!

    "Here they might lie down safely" -- how beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a special moment, indeed. I feel like that part of PP belongs to me now. It happened to come at a time when I had just received an act of true kindness and grace. My heart was positively bursting with gratefulness as I listened to Bunyan's words.

      Delete
  2. "they ate to prevent Surfeits"

    God fills us up, and by the filling ensures we are not overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Can I confess something? I've never read "Pilgrim's Progress". Basically a mortal sin for someone who claims to love literature and the Bible. But maybe it's hard for me to get past Tolkien's total disdain for allegory. I don't know. No excuses. Tolle lege, to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read Part One -- and honestly I listened to most of it. It took about 5 hrs.

      I decided to make it a priority because of its cultural influence. I didn't spend a lot of time going deep with it. I didn't take notes or make lists like I normally do. But I'm REALLY glad I have the imagery in my mind now. It's rich. As I listened, I found myself nodding in agreement a lot: "Slough of Despond, yep, I've been there. Plain of Contentment -- I know what that is!"
      One thing though: I'm finding that I'm now tempted to to stereo-type people based on PP characters. "Obstinate!" "Talkative!" "Pliable!" I'll have to work on that. Sorry for the ramble. I haven't said much about PP yet.

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana