Wednesday, July 3, 2013

I Am Your Keeper and You are Mine: A Stroll in Springtime


I have some more old pictures for you today! I'm still recovering from an illness that has kept me in bed for three days. My strength is starting to return, but I'm taking baby steps. When I haven't been dozing, I've been spending time in my rocker on my front porch in my pajamas and wrapped in a sheet. My husband has taken the week off work to be my nurse and to care for the kids. My mom brought over a chicken dinner last night. After sleeping nearly all day, I found Mother's comfort food to be very comforting indeed!



As I think I said yesterday, looking through my photos feels therapeutic. I can't believe how many pictures I have meant to share with you that I haven't yet got around to sharing! These are some I took on a Spring Sunday back in April when I took my baby for a stroll after church.



I keep hoping that one day I will have time to blog the way I want to: lots of pictures and insights into the classics and useful tips for successful living. But the truth is, though life is a beautiful gift, sometimes it is very hard. Sometimes it takes all I have to just give my family the basics for their survival with a smile on my face. Sometimes the edge is gone and I have no energy left to be creative. I have nothing clever to say and I feel like I need to just lap up wisdom from everyone else!


Sometimes I just need to sit still and watch a bee pollinate a flower and feel the breeze on my face and listen to a mourning dove. 


I  wish people wouldn't say, "I don't want to be a burden on anyone." (Even though I admit I have sometimes said this myself -- I don't want to cause anyone any trouble.) Guess what? Being a burden is part of life so get over it! And praise God the whole world isn't full of evil Nazis. Sometimes your friends and family need you to be a "burden" so they can be whole. Caring for others is not a curse! Caring for others is a blessing!

But I think most people are just trying to be considerate when they say "I don't want to be a burden." We all know negative draining types that will just suck out all of a person's energy and demand more, more, more! But I'm sure you are not like that. If you have a need, call out for help! And receive gifts of love with a grateful heart. I know you will carry the goodness forward and many others will be blessed by your life in time.


I'm very grateful for the friends and family who have stepped up to care for me in the last few days. I hope you have someone to care for you when you are ill or depressed. It is awful to be hurting and to be alone -- especially if you have dependents who require your constant care! I hope you don't struggle with pride like I do. Are you too proud to ask for help? Too proud ask others to share your burdens?

I am your keeper and you are mine. I need your prayers and encouraging words and sometimes I need you tell me when I'm wrong! (Kindly please, but yes -- do tell me.) And I am responsible for each person who comes across my path -- whether in the blogosphere or in offline relationships. I am responsible for everything I teach, say, and show. I must ask myself:

Am I being loving or spiteful? 

Are my motives toward this person pure or selfish? 

When I say "I'll pray for you." Do I actually stop to pray for more than a second?

 Am I building others up or tearing them down?







I think I'll stop here. Maybe soon we can talk about what this looks like in our online relationships.

For now I'm going to take a shower, then rest a bit until Mom gets here. Tonight she's bringing a roast.

Love and blessings!

Adriana

19 comments:

  1. This really spoke to me, especially the questions. The photos are incredibly beautiful and restful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often I have to remind myself that I am here to serve others; but, yes, there are times when we must be grateful receivers of the service of others. Sadly, it is pride that does get in the way of our gratefulness, but we must ask God to make us humble during times of weakness that He may work through others who serve us.

    I do hope you are strengthened very soon, Adriana; and praise God for the blessings of your husband and mother. And I will add you to my prayer list right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those thoughts sum this post up so well! Thank you for the encouragement and prayer, Ruth!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pics, as always, Adriana. Your daughter is such a little cutie!

    As for sometimes not being able to do anything but do things like watch a bee pollinate a flower, feel the breeze and listen to the birds, who on earth said those aren't important things to be doing? In fact, sometimes those are the very things God wants us to do I think.

    Sometimes he wants us to be a burden to others as well. How else can someone be a blessing to the sick and hurting if the sick and hurting keep themselves from being a burden? Me? I act as a burden whenever I need to. Seriously. I ask for help, take help, and appreciate the help of others. It's all part of God's blessings.

    It sounds like you are being blessed now with your family too.

    Praying still,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tim. Taking time to observe nature is so very important for body and soul! I need it. And I agree with you that God wants us to experience his wonders. My heart just leaps with gratitude whenever I'm near it. The beauty I see in nature makes me feel hopeful. I think: If God can make this amazing world, what can he not do inside me?

      I'm glad to know that you act as a burden whenever you need to. You are such a giver, I'd say you've certainly "stocked your shelves for rough times." --as country folk would say.

      Thank you for the prayers, Tim.

      P.S. I noticed Anne called you "an old softie" the other day. That made me smile. :)

      Delete
  4. She is so cute! Look at those cheeks! Resist the urge to pinch!

    Ah, how lovely is your dwelling place :)

    I prayed for you this morning on my journal up in our rooftop because here in the city we dont have much trees. In the rooftop i can see the mountains(at least the uppermost part) (haha sorry im talking much)

    Rest well.
    Leaving you a quote i love from brother lawrence:

    He does not ask much of us, merely a thought of Him from time to time, a little act of adoration, sometimes to ask for His grace, sometimes to offer Him your sufferings, at other times to thank Him for the graces, past and present, He has bestowed on you, in the midst of your troubles to take solace in Him as often as you can. Lift up your heart to Him during your meals and in company; the least little remembrance will always be the most pleasing to Him. One need not cry out very loudly; He is nearer to us than we think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheena,
      Are you an angel or what? :)
      I have savored this comment. I read it aloud to my husband with tears streaming this morning. The thought of you praying for me on your rooftop touches my heart.

      I love that Brother Lawrence quote! I read some of The Practice of the Presence of God a few months ago at Tim's suggestion. I downloaded it to my Kindle for free. I should pick it back up try to finish it now. It's not very long and it's really good.

      Thank you for reminding me of the nearness of God.:)

      Delete
    2. aw, definitely no angel! haha :) just an ordinary girl.

      aw, your comment touches my heart too. Your blog exudes an aura of kindness, one can't help but be kind.

      Blessings to you and to your little one and to your husband!

      P.S. It is such a beautiful picture of you reading my comment to your husband (with tears streaming) aw it's beautiful.

      Delete
  5. What lovely photos! I'm sorry you've been so sick, hope you're much better now. :) And I agree about letting others bless us...but it's so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! I am still recovering. It may take a while, but I'm in good hands. :)Perhaps it is esp hard for mothers (or more specifically -- caretakers --whether male or female) to let others bless us! My husband is insistent that I do absolutely nothing --not even change a diaper. Yesterday he had to wash the baby five times: 1.She climbed onto the table and smeared softened butter into her hair. 2. Got out the back door and found a mud puddle. 3. Got out the front door and stepped into some turkey poop on the front walk. 5. Got into the toilet in the kid's bathroom. Every single time, he carried her down to the utility sink and hosed her down. It was so funny. :) The last time I waited until he was in the basement and I tiptoed into the bathroom to clean up the toilet water mess. It actually felt good to do SOMETHING! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh I missed #4: She took off her poopy diaper in the playroom. Poor Daddy.

      Delete
    3. That image of Joe rinsing her off in the utility sink is a hoot, Adriana!

      Delete
  6. Sorry you've been ill, Adriana. Just a thought from God re being a burden - which we never are for Him: Psalm 55:22. And one more on God's desire and ability to help us: Psalm 34:17-19. I really hope you'll be back on your feet very soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you for taking the time to leave these verses for me, barmy b! I'm truly touched. I looked them up just now. So fortifying for the soul!

      I'm posting them below in case someone else needs a boost of hope:

      "Cast your burden on the Lord,
      and he will sustain you;
      he will never permit
      the righteous to be moved." ~Psalm 55:22

      "When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears
      and delivers them out of all their troubles.
      The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
      and saves the crushed in spirit.
      Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
      but the Lord delivers him out of them all."~ Psalm 34:17-19



      Delete
    2. It was my pleasure. God's word is there to be shared. I have several translations at home. Permit me to share with you Ps 55 in the New Intl Version:

      "Cast your cares on the Lord
      and he will sustain you;
      he will never let the righteous fall"

      I think the last bit conveys the sense a tad more clearly. Take care

      Delete
  7. HI Adriana! I hope you are feeling much better! Thanks as always for sharing your insights and your lovely photos. : )

    Love and hugs,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandy! I AM finally feeling much better. Looking forward to getting back to blogging soon!

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana