Monday, February 24, 2014

Quest Notes: Blizzard Edition

Dear Friend,

Remember that break I took from blogging back in November?

It was a mistake.

Maybe a two week break would have been OK, but I chose two months. Now I'm struggling to get back into a rhythm. When a writer lets herself go, her brain gets flabby rather quickly. What should take 20 minutes, now takes an hour or more!

Maybe I just have cabin fever. It's been a long winter of blizzards and viruses. Currently my voice is croaky and I can't hear well out of my left ear. We haven't been to church in two weeks because of illness in our house.



Although I didn't write much during my hiatus, I did read some good stuff like The Power of Habit by Charles, Duhigg. If you're struggling with changing habits, this book is a good place to start. I'm interested in how we develop habits and how our habits define us.

I quietly finished Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte late in the fall. It seems to be everyone's favorite classic. I enjoyed it, but maybe since I was already familiar with the plot from movies, it didn't stir me like it may have if it was a fresh experience. I hesitate to analyze something so well known and loved; so for now, let me point you in the direction of the rock star guest post that featured Jane Eyre on my blog (by Karen Swallow Prior, author of Booked: Literature in the Soul of Me.)




A while ago I took a Myers-Briggs Personality Indicator (MBTI) test and discovered that I'm an INFP -- "The Healer." I think Jane Eyre might have been an INFP too. There are a few different opinions about her personality around the web. Are you familiar with MBTI? Have you read Jane Eyre? If so, how would peg Jane?

I've also read these books this winter:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, The Red Badge of Courage by Stephan Crane, and Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

Thanks for sticking with me, dear readers. Spring is right around the corner -- We'll arrive at a place of wellness and warm air soon!


Love,
Adriana

12 comments:

  1. Your post makes me think of a quote today from These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Pa was taking Laura to the Brewster's to teach school, and Laura wanted to know if Pa thought she could do it; he replied, "Success gets to be a habit, like anything else a fellow keeps on doing."

    And our pastor once said, "Practice makes a habit."

    So there's my two-cents on the topic of habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love Pa Ingalls, Ruth?
      He always said just the right thing -- priceless.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure we discussed this before, Adriana, but yes it makes so much sense for Jane to be an INFP: looks inwardly for her strength and energy; looks to what can be, not just what is; lives through her feelings; and is open to possibilities.

    In many movie adaptations of JE, the St. John Rivers part is underplayed or greatly shortened, yet it takes up a huge amount of space in the book. What did you think of Jane and St. John? This part of the book was very striking to me b/c in a conflict I have had with a friend I felt just like Jane felt up against S-J's icy goodness. So it spoke to me like never before.

    I am glad to have you back blogging again, whenever, however, and whatever you blog! And viruses begone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree with me about Jane's personality, Jeannie. I wrote "INFP" in the margin whenever a description of her seemed to fit. I starting learning about the MBTI stuff at the same time I started JE so I couldn't help but use her as my first guinea pig.

      And yes about St. John -- I listened to an audio version while reading along for quite a bit and I kept thinking,"Who is 'Sinjun?'" This shows how unrefined I am, I'm afraid. But really, what a handful he would have been for Jane! So glad she had the sense to follow that creepy voice she heard whispering on the wind -- "Jane! Jane! Jane!" ;-)

      That's interesting that you could relate to key scenes in a new way this time, due to the situation with your friend. I'm always comforted when I make a connection like that. "We read to know we're not alone."

      P.S. I enjoyed your short stories very much! It made me wish I could meet with all my blog friends in person for writing and reading discussions. My friends at Classic Case of Madness meet at the end of every book on the WEM list for a wrap up.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean about the "Sinjun" pronunciation -- I did JE in university and my prof was very elegant (but very nice) and when she said that first I thought whaaat? did I miss something? :-)

      Delete
    3. I didn't find out about Sinjun until I was about 30, I think. And at some point I learned that St. Maur is pronounced Seymour. Not that you see many St. Maurs anymore but there was one in a favorite E. Nesbit book.

      Delete
  3. I've missed your posts! Get back into the swing soon, please. :) (Says the person having a hard time making time to post.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, you are so kind! It's nice to know I was missed. Blog-on, friend! :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you're feeling so under the weather, luv. XO Of course it's hard to write when you've had so much illness and ghastly weather and all those things. I know you'll find your rhythm again when the time is right. :-) XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Krista. The moment I finished this post today I picked up the phone and called my doctor. I had a prescription for antibiotics by dinner time! Looking forward to feeling some relief! :-)

      Delete
  5. Jane Eyre is good, but I'm not a big fan. It's certainly better than the sequel: Jane's Heir.

    I am really looking forward to a blog post of what you thought about Huck Finn. Amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard somewhere that Jane's Heir was banned . . . probably for good reason -- right, Tim?

      Huck Finn blew my socks off. Maybe by and by I'll do a fancy wrap-up post for Huck. Then I'll feel real smartified! :-)

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana