Monday, September 15, 2014

Things to Put on the Fridge Door of Life

Dear Friend,

How are you today?

I'm feeling grateful. My husband has been out of town working on a project for the last two weeks. Yesterday he returned home to five jumping kids, a beaming wife, a tail-wagging dog, a clean house, his favorite dinner, and an apple pie.

Life is good.


The kids and I watched a balloon launch at the park on Saturday.


Lately I've been thinking about a few special links I'd like to share with you. This isn't just random good stuff that I've stumbled upon around the web. These are links to content I'm proud of, content which belongs to friends who have come alongside me in my life journey and blessed me with kindness. These are things to place on life's fridge door, so to speak.

A few weeks ago I met a precious kindred spirit, Emma Teller, for coffee. We talked for four hours. I never do that! But it was amazing. The time went by in a blink, We haven't seen each other in a very long time.Thirteen years ago Emma was my piano student. Now she is an exquisite artist. (I smiled over the smudge of red paint under her forearm.) We talked about faith, the creative life, and the mercy of God. I was blown away by her humility and wisdom.
No matter what you do or who you are there are so many ways we can do this - leave the world more beautiful than we found it - and that is what I hope and try to do with my paintings and with my art.  

Emma has a blog. Though she's not there often, it's a good place to view some of her work. Go here for still lifes and here for portraits. You can also follow Emma on Facebook.


Tim Fall has been called the "Barnabas of the Blogosphere" because he's relentless with encouragement. My whole family has been blessed by his friendship. While fishing in the Rockies recently, my husband used Tim's method for making pan fried trout. My kids have enjoyed listening to some of his cowboy stories that I've read aloud during our evening bonfires. Over the past few years, Tim has taught me to be liberal with encouragement and to pray for opportunities to build others up.

We have a God who is the Comforter -- who comes alongside us with the comfort, so that we can then be the ones to come alongside others with the comfort God has given us.

Tim blogs at Just One Train Wreck After Another. Two of my recent favorite posts are Problems with Unbalanced Grace and I've Never Been on a Road I Haven't Taken. And while you're there I'd be delighted if you'd read my recent guest post, People's Looks and Covers of Books.

Tim was recently interviewed by talk radio host Doug Bursch on "Live From Seattle." You can listen to that interview here. (Tim's segment starts at the 12 minute mark.)


Next, I must give a shout out to my faithful friend Christine. Last week she and I had a rare opportunity to have a day out together without kids. She knew I had been wanting to visit the Harriet Beecher Stowe house with her forever. There are nine kids and two husbands between us, so the stars have to be aligned just so in order for the two of us to be able to take a day trip alone. We realized our special day was set to happen only one day previous. The problem was, our free day (a Thursday) was a day the museum was closed. Christine got on the phone and coordinated a private tour. (They typically only do tours for groups and rarely on short notice!) I can't wait to finish my research so I can tell you all about our experience. Christine no longer blogs, so I don't have a link to give you for her, but I can't talk about things to put on the fridge door of life without mentioning the remarkable gift Christine pursued for me.



And last but certainly not least, I would love to introduce you to my virtual fairy blog mother, Jeannie Prinsen. Jeannie is a deep well of wisdom and intellect, yet she is delightfully approachable. Each Monday she shares a "Monday Morsel" -- a quote which she has come upon in her reading. I always try to square away some quiet time to sip my coffee when I visit Jeannie's Little House on the Circle. It would be wonderful to live near her and savor morsels with her in person.

 Life is not about being fast.  It's about doing what we're called to do and not stressing about the outcome.
I nominated Jeannie for a "Liebster Award" on my birthday this past year. She joined in the fun with this post in response.

Love her tributes to her son: You've Got a Friend in Me and Never Mean.

And this one: Slow: Tortoise Crossing


Recently Jeannie participated Anne Bogel's "literary matchmaking" blog event at the Modern Mrs. Darcy. Jeannie told Anne the types of books she likes/dislikes and Anne made selections for her based on this profile. Readers are invited to join in with the matchmaking and the result is lots of TBR list enrichment!




What are some things you'd like to put on the fridge door of your life today?

Peace & Joy,

Adriana

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha, fairy blogmother -- I love it! Adriana, this is a delightful post and I'm honoured to be mentioned in it. This thing about meeting in person keeps coming up, doesn't it? I'm adding that to my bucket list -- oh wait, I don't have a bucket list. But if I did, that would be on it.

    I think you mentioned Emma recently (or she commented on a post or something?), because I had already looked at her work. WOW. I loved those fruit paintings -- talk about life handing you lemons! Absolutely breathtaking.

    Thanks for sharing so graciously today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Jeannie. I've never had a fairy blogmother before. You're the first. :-)

      I added another link too. The Liebster Award! You were such a good sport about that.

      I'm still hopeful that the Festival of Faith & Writing Conference 2016 will work out. I'd love to celebrate 40 with blog friends and chocolate cake.

      And yes, Emma Teller is absolutely amazing and humble to boot. Love her dearly. The lemons are gorgeous. I really like the partially peeled oranges too.

      Delete
  2. No fair, Adriana. Here I am trying to get ready to tackle a day at work and your post goes and gets me all choked up and misty eyed. I can't tell you how honored I am to be included in your fridge postings.

    And I'm also tickled that Joe enjoyed my simple suggestion for pan frying the trout. I'm telling you, Adriana, once you move west and have trout fresh from the creek and into the pan, you won't want it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posting something to my fridge door is about the highest honor I can offer, Tim. Thank you for being an encouragement to so many.

      When Joe gets a chance, he's going to put up more pictures of his trip. So neat! :-)

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana