Saturday, February 3, 2018

30 Great Audio Books


Dear Prasanta,

You asked for audio book recommendations, so here you go!

Autobiographies:
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, read by the author
The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie, read by Antony Ferguson (In a lovely Scottish brogue.)
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelo, read by the author
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Ann Jacobs, read by Audio Elan
The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway, read by Barbara Caruso
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, read by the author

Modern Novels:
Bel Canto Ann Patchett
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Babery
The One-in-a-Million Boy by Monica Wood

Life-Changing Non-Fiction:
David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Faith:
The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis, read by C.S. Lewis!
Streams of Living Water by Richard Foster

Comfort Novels:
(If I ever fall into a coma, I've instructed my family to play these repeatedly.)

The Complete Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, read by Cherry Jones
A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck
A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

I Don't Think We're in Kansas Anymore:
(Some weird and disturbing scenes in these books, but they're well-crafted memoirs that left me thinking.)

Cut Me Loose: Sin And Salvation After My Ultra-Orthodox Girlhood by Leah Vincent
Greetings From Utopia Park by Claire Hoffman
Walk Through Walls by Marina Abramovic

Junior Fiction:
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Classics:
(These narrators were carefully selected.)

Moby-Dick by Hermann Melville, read by Frank Muller
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, read by Ian Lynch
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, read by David Horovitch,
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, read by Elijah Wood
Emma by Jane Austen, read by Juliet Stevenson
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, read by Sissy Spacek

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Hope this helps. Happy listening!

Love,
A

5 comments:

  1. Adriana,
    I'm saving this list! That you took the time to make this list to answer my question - you just incredibly blessed me, friend. Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure, Prasanta! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on any of these titles.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for pointing out the specific narrators - that is so helpful. I'm downloading some of those. Plus the biographies you recommend. :) And your comment about falling into a coma made me laugh! This new category "I Don't Think We're in Kansas Anymore" (haha!) is all new to me - apparently I've been in Kansas waaay too long! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, are you familiar with Overdrive? I had an Audible subscription for several years and when I discovered Overdrive I cancelled Audible. Set up an account with your public library card then download the app. Loans are for 21 days.
      https://www.overdrive.com/


      Delete
    2. I found out recently my library stopped using Overdrive and now uses something called Libby- a new app I need to download. The audiobooks are for 14 days. And, my library also recently got connected to Hoopla, which I recently joined. I've begun searching for a few of the titles above. :)

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana