Monday, February 13, 2012

How to Eat the Moon

File:FullMoon2010.jpg

This idea I have of a "classical education" is feeling really huge today. Montaigne's Essays (which apparently the Who's Who of academia for the last few centuries has adored ) is not jiving with me. I miss Saint Augustine. I keep glancing longingly at my untouched copy of City of God. I feel like I'm trying to move too fast. I could have spent years on Confessions.

I put Essays down this morning and started listening to Sarah Bakewell's book: How to Live: Or a Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer. She is really enthusiastic about this guy. She thinks his personality is just charming. Was I raised in Plato's cave? I confess I had never heard of Montaigne until I started my quest.

The more I learn, the more I realize what I don't know. It feels like trying to eat the moon, one spoonful at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Is this a "bit off more than I can chew" kind of mood. One little bit at a time. When in doubt, go back to reading what you love!
    ~Christine

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana