Friday, February 10, 2012

The First Day of the Rest of My Life



“Do you know what today is?” I asked my husband.
He turned to me, startled.  I knew what he was thinking: what did I forget? 
I assured him with a pat on the hand,
“It’s the first day of the rest of my life.”
“Oh, that’s nice, Babe.”
“No really, it is!”

Since I was a young girl, I dreamed of getting married and having a large family. I gave birth to my fifth child six weeks ago. Yesterday I had my postpartum visit with my doctor. She gave me the green light to return to normal function.

So it feels like dawning of a new era. The course of my life in no longer a vague misty dream. All around me are the precious faces of my present and my future: my handsome husband and my five gorgeous kids.
I took a brisk walk to celebrate and to “think my little thoughts through.” ( My aunt taught me this phrase when I was young. She said "Honey sometimes you just need to find a place to think your little thoughts through." It's true -- my thoughts are little in the grand scheme of things and I do need a place to think them through sometimes.)

Two of my boys came along with me. My oldest son held my little one's hand so I could walk ahead a bit and try to get my heart rate up. I feel so much lighter than six weeks ago! I skipped and twirled  --  which made my boys smile. My oldest has seen me lying prostrate a lot this past year. It's been too long since we've taken our daily walks together. I attempted to click my heels. The boys laughed.

So, for what did I ponder and pray on "the first day"? 

Gratefulness for the past and a vision for the future.
It's time to add some new dreams to my heart. It's time to take new steps and risk new things. Life is full of uncertainties and some things we just can't predict, but for me two things are very clear: I will be spending the next phase of my life raising my little brood and honing my craft as a writer.


I'm grateful you've stopped by Classical Quest. I'd love to know --

What are your goals for the next ten years?


4 comments:

  1. Long Hot Showers. My very own personal think tank. Doors Locked. No Children ALLOWED!!!!!! (Hmmmmm . . . . wonder why our water bills are somtimes high?!?!)
    ~Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that "the first day of the rest of my life"...I need to make some art that hangs on the wall with that phrase.
    Thinking? What thinking? I have 4 under 7 and a 3 month old. 1 hour a day they have to be on their beds with either books or handwork activity. That should probably be my think time - but it's more like mommy sanity time.
    The place and space where my mind is cleared the most is in a quiet place, where I'm doing something with my hands (knitting, kneading, sewing, organizing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that writing helps me think. After jotting down my thoughts, I sit back and read them over with a list of questions and answers to myself. I find that if I haven't written in a while, I am not as content with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree. Thanks for that insight Michelle.
    Hope you are doing well.
    Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana