Monday, November 19, 2012

Quest Notes (A Weekly Classical Quest Status Update)


(Yes, I know it's just two intersecting vapor trails from a couple of airplanes, but this morning I needed to see a cross.  Maybe you need to see a cross in the sky today too.)

Welcome to "Quest Notes"  -- my new weekly status update!  ✒  I have three chapters left of Anna Karenina! I'm hoping to finish today. It's been a busy weekend with no real time for reading, but I'm SO close. (And this book it SO good!)

✒ Lots of cleaning, cooking, and muttering of prayers going on as I prepare for Thanksgiving Day!

✒ I've decided to write the questions for the Anna Karenina Wrap-up & Inquiry on Post-It notes and place them all around my house. This way I can ponder them as I bustle about preparing for company.

✒ Read The No Brainer Blog last week. If you are new to blogging or if you need a blog-revamp, check it out! I am looking forward to exploring more of Hayley Morgan's blog, The Tiny Twig. I love her concept of "less fuss, so that we can have more time for the things we are passionate about".

✒ I wrote a post recently about the importance of cultivating excellent habits because -- as Aristotle as put it -- "We are what we repeatedly do." For the past several months I've been making the challenging transition from "night owl" to "morning person". I think I've finally accomplished this because for the past several weeks my eyes have been popping open at 4:49 a.m. (even when I go to bed too late, which means I end up feeling tired all day, but still).

✒ As I was out walking yesterday, I asked my son why he thinks it is that I am infinitely more passionate about reading through the WEM list than I am about getting in shape and -- though he couldn't even begin to answer that for me -- he offered to be my personal trainer! He's a first born, so he LOVES to be in charge and tell people what to do. This is perfect because I love nothing more than encouraging him! So I have orders to jog a mile with him when he gets home from school!!! Love it. (By the way -- he said, "Mom, you are already beautiful, I just want you to feel stronger. Wasn't that sweet?) So now that I have the early rising thing down, my next task is to stay consistent to jogging. I already take a walk almost every day, but it's usually a slow meander with the stroller and camera in hand.



✒ Slowly reading and digesting Walking on Water, by Madeline L'Engle.  She is such a wise soul, and so likable, so real. She's helping me define what making art really means for me.



✒ I've started a new list that I LOVE! I'm calling the list "Blink" because it's inspired by some interesting stuff I learned last year when I read Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink. More about that to come . . .

✒ Working on my "Blushing & Flushing" list from Anna Karenina. So much "blushing", "flushing", "reddening" and "crimsoning" happens in Anna Karenina that I think it's going to take three blog-posts to list it all!

✒ I've been thinking about something Anne Bogel mentioned in a recent post at the Modern Mrs. Darcy, 
"The future of the internet? I humbly suggest to you that the future of the internet is offline."
I love how the internet serves as a tool to connect people of similar interests. I'm excited about future opportunities to enjoy friends in person through conferences and blog-jams.

Recently enjoyed a blog-jam with my friend Krista from "Teaching Mommy to Pray"


✒ I'm excited about starting the next book on the WEM list soon -- The Return of the Native, by Thomas Hardy.

✒ I want to remind anyone who is planning to see the new Anna Karenina film which opens this weekend: "NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS MOVIE!"


So, what have you been up to lately? Cultivating any new/excellent habits?

How's your holiday prep-work coming? 

Would you like to join me for a Return of the Native synchro-read starting December 1st?

10 comments:

  1. May God bless you in this busy season of your life and keep you! May you be able to "Be Still" a few moments and feel His peace and presence. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, dear friend! Blessings (and stillness) to you as well!

      Delete
  2. Adriana! I LOVE the list idea...and I LOVE the encouragement you have gotten--and will continue to get--through Joseph! Another God moment of "I love you." *ah* I love that.

    And, YES!, we will need to blog-jam again SOON. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo-hoo!!! I imagine we'll stay until they have to lock the doors behind us again! That was SO fun!

      Delete
  3. When I read the Anna Karenina list, I thought of a completely different kind of blushing and flushing. I was thinking of those things that make me blush in shame and how I need to flush them from my life. Your list will probably be much more fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?!?! Tim you are so funny. :)

      BTW, I just realized that this was my 100th post!

      Delete
  4. I need a personal trainer, I did find my treadmill today so that is a start.
    I do not think I could watch the Anna Karenina movie. I saw the trailer last night.
    I am not enjoying the new book but maybe it will grow on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read Ruth's latest post at An Experiment with the Well Educated Mind? She had decided to throw in the towel on Native and read The Scarlet Pimpernel instead (not a bad choice, in my opinion), but she got an interesting comment from a reader which helped her change her mind and stick with it.

      http://greatbookstudy.blogspot.com/2012/11/cannot-return-to-return-of-native.html

      Delete
  5. This post is so full of goodness that I'm not sure where to begin! Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it good! Sometimes it feels nice to just jot down a list of notes without the pressure of creating a perfectly polished post. Thank YOU for reading!:)

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana