Thursday, June 6, 2013

Late Have I Loved You

Lately I've been enjoying the music of Matt Maher. The other day a friend pointed out to me that one of his songs, "Alive Again", was inspired by the famous prayer from St. Augustine of Hippo in Confessions. I read Confessions back when I was trying to muddle through the WEM list on my own. The words "late have I loved you" sounded familiar, but I had completely forgotten the prayer. I wondered if I had really taken the time to let that rich, beautiful prayer sink in. I searched online to find the location: Book X Chapter XXVII. Then I found my well-worn paperback copy. I saw where I had underlined stuff nearby but that prayer was unmarked.

Of all the books I've read on this quest so far, Confessions has by far been the most important. I see now that it's one I shouldn't skip over when my friends and I reach the autobiography list. Confessions must be my first official reread. I'm really excited about discovering other spiritual insights within its pages that I missed before.

"A classic is a book that with each re-reading offers as much of a sense of discovery as the first reading." ~Italo Calvino
St. Augustine by Botticelli
Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you! You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for you. In my unloveliness I plunged into the lovely things which you created. You were with me, but I was not with you. Created things kept me from you; yet if they had not been in you they would have not been at all. You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness. You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness. You breathed your fragrance on me; I drew in breath and now I pant for you. I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more. You touched me, and I burned for your peace.
from The Confessions of Saint Augustine
Matt Maher, "Alive Again"

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing that. I have to confess I haven't read the Confessions! But this has made me think I should do so soon. I didn't know the song either. MM's music has a depth that not all contemporary worship music can match, undoubtedly because of sources like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jeannie. My husband started listening to MM first. A couple weeks ago he plugged in the CD on the way to church. I was impressed with how every single song was deep -- like you said. I have since snatched the CD and today I'm listening to it in my living room while I fold laundry. :)

      Delete
  2. "In my unloveliness I plunged into the lovely things which you created." What a great way to look at God's common graces and mercies. Thanks for guiding us into that prayer today, Adriana.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That line pretty much sums up the story of my life! Glad this prayer meant something to you too.

      Delete
  3. Re-read confessions this January - well worth it. I couldn't believe how much I missed in college. St. Augustine is so personal and philosophical in his writing. A real genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we have Confessions in common, Nick. I'll look forward to any comments you have to share when I begin my reread. It will be a little while before I get there though; I still have to finish the novel list.

      Delete
  4. St. Augustine is our patron saint in our city. Our priests here talk about him every fiesta, from the stories, what I can remember is that, he was a real trouble and her mother prays for him consistently and then he was converted(the power of a praying mother). And the story of a man digging a hole in the shore, and then someone asked him what's his doing and he said im trying to put the ocean in here(it's something about understanding the Holy Trinity). And the quote our heart is restless until it rest in thee. And yes he's skin color is kind of black(we have a humongous statue of him in our church wearing a red cape)

    I should really try to read his confessions to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you know quite a bit about St. Augustine, Sheena. I'm impressed. I'd love to see a picture of the statue in your church sometime!

      Delete
  5. I didn't mark it either, Adriana. : ( But I am so glad you brought it to my attention. I will mark it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly worthy of a mark! :-)

      P.S. Hope you are well, Ruth. I feel like I've fallen out of touch with all my WEM friends. Are you having a good summer?

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana