Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Summer Play: Ocarinas, Cards, Cup-Clapping, and Fried Chicken

Dear Friends, 

Today I'd like to share with you some really important things I learned how to do this summer.


Make an ocarina with my hands. 

I think ocarinas are neat. I especially like the ones that look and sound like birds. I own two: one sounds like an owl, the other sounds like a mourning dove.  My oldest son and I enjoyed learning how to create an ocarina with our hands via the You Tube video below. (We have some room for improvement. The kid in the video is amazing.)

I received this one as a gift. It was purchased from Ten Thousand Villages.

I bought this one in Eger, Hungary. It sounds just like a mourning dove. We like to "talk" to real doves with them.



Play "Slap Jack."

I don't recall playing this card game as a kid, but it was the perfect game to play with my 4yr old and 6yr old on vacation. I bought a special "Slap Jack" deck. Normally it is played with a standard deck of cards.




Sing while cup clapping.

My 9yr. old daughter and I had a blast learning to use cups in sync as rhythm instruments.

Watch the adorable Lennon and Maisy do it --


And here is Anna Kendrick singing the song my daughter and I learned --"Cup Song"--



It is so fun! I seriously can't be left alone with a cup and a flat surface. It's addictive!

Here is the chant to help you learn it:

clap-clap
1-2-3
clap
up-down
clap
side
hand
table
hand 
slap
down


If you haven't had enough yet, here is the same song in a music video. It starts with one lone cook rolling out biscuits and before long all of the customers in this restaurant are cup-clapping.



Make my grandmother's fried chicken.

Well, I hope I have learned how. While on vacation with her last week, I watched closely as she made it for dinner -- twice!  I bought the ingredients tonight and I plan to make it tomorrow.


Your turn! Have you tried anything fun and new this summer?

P.S. Don't forget: I'm starting Jane Eyre on August 26th. Grab an unabridged copy and plan to join me!

With Love,

Adriana

20 comments:

  1. When I was in college, I learned to do "cups" to this song after seeing Rich Mullins in concert. My daughter learned at camp this summer and was completely shocked to see that I already knew how!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ3oVGs3br8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat, Christine! I checked it out and it's the same rhythm! That is great that you were able to impress your daughter with your skill! I love it when that happens! :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. We loved playing Slap Jack when I was a kid Adriana. Your other accomplishments this summer sound great too. What memories you've built in them!

    Tim

    P.S. Did you get a biscuit recipe from your grandmother to go along with the fried chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have made some really great memories with my kids this summer, Tim. :)

      And no, sadly I did not learn to make homemade biscuits! However, the chicken is rolled in buttermilk biscuit mix. Yum!

      Delete
  3. Love this quirky list! In my heart, I am a professional cup clapper, but in real life, I can not even walk and chew gum - so kudos to you for learning two useful musical skills.

    Let us all know how that fried chicken turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Michelle, it CAN'T be more difficult than dancing the "Virgina Reel"! ;)

      Delete
  4. so that's how it's called in English, ocarina. We do that with our hands when we were young at the side road of our island, the birds always reply(1long blow then 3 quick blows for Alimokon bird). We also do that at the beach when we want the rain to come down. haha. It sounds good when you wet your hands with water.

    Pitch Perfect! I love that movie and the cup thing! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water! Brilliant! I just wet my hands and it works WAY better! Thank you, Sheena. Your childhood sounds as though it was magical. A dear friend of mine spent her childhood in the Philippines and her stories are wonderful. I think I've told you about her before. She spoke Cebuano. Is that your first language?

      Oh and I didn't realize the cup song was from a movie. I have not seen Pitch Perfect. Maybe I will now. :)

      Delete
    2. hehe your welcome. it was magical. I think so too. Yea your editor. You told me about her before. Tell her: Wapa ka kalimot ug binisaya? (translates to have you not forgotten how to speak binisaya?) :)

      Yes, Cebuano is my first language.

      Watch Pitch Perfect! Now! Highly Recommended!!! haha One of the best ive seen this year.

      Delete
  5. SO tempted to reread Jane Eyre with you! SOOOOOO tempted! Since The Return of the Native, I have been starved for Jane Eyre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please-please do it! I've been missing interaction from you and all my WEM friends. I've fallen SO far behind everyone else. I would love to have your input as I read JE!

      Delete
    2. Well, my copy of JE is sitting on my nightstand! I think I'll be joining you. I am just finishing up The Picture of Dorian Gray. Hoping to do that by Sunday so I can focus on JE. Thanks for the inspiration!

      Delete
  6. You are so fun and creative!! :-) Your kids must love hanging out with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Krista. I certainly enjoy hanging out with them. (And yes, I think they dig their nutty mom!)

      Delete
  7. You really are a great mom. : ) It's fun to read of your family adventures!

    I loved the cup videos, though so far I can't get my hands coordinated even for the first set of movements! Heehee, but it's fun trying.

    Like Ruth, I would love to read Jane Eyre with you, though I've already read it.... But I think I'll try to read something new. I've been kind of jumping around the list! Anyway, I know you'll love it! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... thanks Sandy! :)

      Here is a link to a tutorial on how to cup-clap:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KJXWUhZRYY

      This young woman does an excellent job explaining and showing the steps in just a few minutes. When you know it well enough to sing along though, you will want to switch to one of the video links I have shared above. Hope that helps! :)

      Delete
  8. I have never done any of the things you mention here (well, I've eaten chicken, but not like your special recipe I'm sure!). I should check out the card game; my daughter loves games.

    Although I've read Jane Eyre several times I might join you on the synchro-read when I get home from holidays & can get hold of my copy. I love JE -- and the Jane Eyre chapter in Karen Swallow Prior's book was my favourite part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KSP's chapter on JE was inspiring. I'm also intrigued with the amount of people I've run into blogging and on FB who say they love JE. One woman told me it is her favorite book!

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana