Saturday, August 24, 2013

Dancing "The Charleston"

the road home

Dear Readers,

While driving home this evening, I rolled down the windows and tuned in to our local radio station for some Saturday evening big band and swing jazz music.

It was good.

There is something about big band in late summer. Crickets chirping between songs, curtains flapping in the breeze .  . .  I'm seventeen again and back home at my parents' farmhouse. It's a Sunday evening.

in Mom's parlor

I know it is a Sunday evening because I still have on my dress. (I always wore dresses to church then.) It's my favorite dress -- black with tiny lavender flowers all over it. I love how it flows when I dance "The Charleston." Such a goofy dance! But so fun! I giggle as I move forward then backward across the hardwood floor.

in Mom's parlor

My cousin is visiting. She is laughing at me too. I take her hands and show her the steps. She catches on quickly and before long, we are dancing together. As she moves forward, I go backward, then vice versa.

Watch George Bailey and his sweetheart Mary dance "The Charleston" in this famous scene from "It's a Wonderful Life":


George Bailey: "We must be good!"

Oh. I love it! 

I love how George and Mary laugh at their own ridiculousness. I love how they keep on dancing even after they fall into the pool!

Haven't we all been there?

I must be good!  . . . KERSPLASH! 


No matter how ridiculous we may seem, it is a soft, happy, childlike spirit that will keep us afloat.

Blessings to you, friends!

With Love,

Adriana

P.S. I'm looking forward to starting Jane Eyre with you tomorrow, the 26th of August.

12 comments:

  1. Great childhood story, Adriana, and I love that scene from the movie. They look so happy, and your own happiness shines through in this post as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this! : ) It brought back a memory of a silly, giddy, joyful episode in my life as a 17-year-old -- running in the rain and splashing in puddles with my friend from the cross-country team. And of course, I LOVE It's a Wonderful Life.

    Thanks, Adriana, and happy reading of Jane Eyre!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sandy! How I would have enjoyed running in the rain with you then! Glad you shared this scene from your life. I'm smiling. :)

      Delete
  3. This post made me happy. I am smiling. Thank you.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearing from you, Sheena, has made me VERY HAPPY indeed!

      The next time there is major flooding in the Philippines and the news says that there have been fatalities and thousands of people are out of their homes, please remember to post something as soon as possible so we all know you are OK! ♥

      Delete
    2. aw, thank you so much for your concern. We are all fine :) The flood is far from our place in the Luzon area(we are in Mindanao). We have gotten so used to the floods we can still smile amidst everything. It's rainy season and there are still a lot of storm coming so we continue to pray for everyone to be safe and dry.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed your post! Yes, I love that scene with George and Mary.

    Big Band in late summer.. interesting... there are certain times when it feels 'perfect'. I like any band music in summertime, marching bands too, brass bands, and I love bag pipe groups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm smiling so big after this post, luv. :-) I LOVE that scene you shared and am delighted that you know how to dance like that. :-) One day I will learn! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana