Saturday, November 16, 2013

Ascending : Guest Post By Jeannie Prinsen

Dear Friend,

I'm delighted to share a poem with you today! It was written by my friend Jeannie Prinsen. Jeannie is an online writing instructor at Queen's University. She shares many insightful reflections on her blog Little House on the Circle. 

+ + +

The experience that inspired this poem took place a couple of years ago in Prince Edward Island (where I was born and where my family still goes every summer).  We  had arrived at my parents' place earlier that day, and I was taking an evening walk.  There is something about the quiet of the surroundings and the beauty of the sky there, especially at sunset, that always makes me feel peaceful.  But the cloud of starlings -- something I don't think I'd ever seen before -- added a different dimension to this walk. I was fascinated by their swooping formations and the way they crowded into a tree, chattering loudly, and then suddenly lifted off as one.  This poem tries to capture the sight, sound, and feeling of that experience.







ascending

shape-shifting black
ellipses thrill the evening sky
a thousand starlings
    swirl
             swoop
                      dive
then settle
turning a sun-kindled apple tree
into a quivering
dappling
murmur
ation
each leaf and twig
pulsing with their over
lapping voices

suddenly
they rise in a shush of underlit wings
like flakes 
of fire
showering
upward
like fallen stars returning
to heaven
and I watch
wistful
wondering
how it would feel
to fly
my own wings touched with the light
of day's golden 
end





In case you missed it: Jeannie and I did another photo/poem collaboration earlier this year. You can read it here.

poem cJeannie Prinsen 2013
please do not reproduce without author permission                                                       


12 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning poem, Jeannie!!! Reminds me of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRNqhi2ka9k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice that you came over here, Franceen; thanks! I actually did see that video before when someone linked it on Facebook -- amazing.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Jeannie. I felt not only as if I were there watching them, but that I had taken flight with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim; I really appreciate that comment!

      Delete
  3. You have transported us into the moment with this beautifully crafted poem, Jeannie. It's been such a treat to have you as a guest today. I'm already looking forward to next time! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Adriana; this has been great. And thanks for the pictures (especially that last one -- it is something else!). Hmm, what shall we call ourselves: Kindred Spirits Multimedia Productions? Quick, register that! :-)

      Delete
    2. LOVE!!! You keep writing the poems and I'll keep snapping the pics! ♥

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Sheena! Wishing you blessing and safety today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous combination of words and images!! Thanks, both :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana