Tuesday, November 19, 2013

In Which We Give All to Get All : Guest Post by Anita Mathias

Dear Friend,
I'm honored to have award-winning author Anita Mathias as my guest today. Anita has been blogging through Genesis and Matthew on her blog since June. Here she shares her reflection on Genesis 35. You can find more of her insights at Dreaming Beneath the Spires.


+ + +


So Jacob has an amazing vision of a stairway between heaven and earth,
and angels ascending and descending on it. And at the top was the
Lord, who promises him the land, fruitfulness, blessing, protection,
his presence and his favour.

The context?

Jacob is fleeing the brother whom he had effectively disinherited and
deprived of the blessings of the first-born through deceit.

Hardly the best place to meet God and be promised his blessings,
wouldn’t you say?

But God is gracious and compassionate, full of mercy and abounding in love.


* * *

So after Jacob’s sons Simeon and Levi disgrace and endanger him
through slaughtering every male in Shechem and then looting it, Jacob
is on the move again, back to the place of blessing.

God suggests that he returns to Bethel and settles there, building an altar.

In preparation, Jacob commands his household, “get rid of the foreign
gods you have with you, and purify yourself and change your
clothes(Gen 35:2).”

When they do so, and bury all the foreign Gods, and the rings they
wore as amulets or charms, God gives them safe conduct. “Then they set
out, and the terror of God fell upon the towns all around them so that
no one pursued them.”

And at Bethel, God blesses him, and promises him fruitfulness and the
land, Eretz Israel.

Getting rid of foreign gods was a precursor of protection and blessing.


* * *

Why was this so important?

Because we can only be in one place. We are either in the waterfall of
God’s goodness and favour, or we are not.

We are either relying on God, or on our own strategies for success,
for wealth, or getting our own way, for example. (Nothing wrong with
strategies. Strategy is fun--and strategic action is obviously more
effective than random action. However, we have to continually ensure
that our strategies either originate with God, or have been run by
him, and have his approval.)

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen
those whose hearts are fully committed to him (2 Chron. 16:9).
Somehow being wholly committed to God, wholly in the river of his
love, is necessary to being able to wholly access his ideas, and his
inspiration, and to experience his undeserved blessings. Selling
everything to buy that pearl.

All I have is yours, and all you have is mine, Jesus says. They are
correlated. Perhaps all we have needs to be His, for all He has to
become ours.

Our lunch must be handed over to Jesus for 5000 men to feed on it.


* * *

How do we reach this level of surrender?

Reaching total surrender to God and totally experiencing his
blessings, ideas and provision, like everything else in life, is a
matter of one step at a time, one step of obedience at a time.
Practice, blow it; get up, practice again.

I have not reached total surrender, alas, though I want to--because I
think living in Jesus is a more exciting place to live than following
my own whims and strategies.

Here are some areas I am working on: turning to Jesus rather than food
when in a low mood; not worrying about my work, but entrusting it to
him and asking for his ideas; doing my fair share of house-running
stuff.

But the real battleground for me is within. Forgiving and praying
blessing on those who injured me. Blessing those I feel envious of,
and asking God to bless me indeed, instead of lingering in envy. Not
dwelling in the negative, but turning my thoughts and words to the
positive. Praising and thanking God when I do not feel like doing so.

Tweak, tweak, tweak, until I am aligned with Jesus, and living in Jesus, with Jesus himself living in me.




Anita-Mathias

Anita Mathias is the author of Wandering Between Two Worlds
(Benediction Classics, 2007) and blogs at Dreaming Beneath the Spires,
 anitamathias.com.

Anita lives in Oxford, England with her husband, Roy, and daughters,
Zoe and Irene. Visit her at Facebook at Dreaming Beneath the Spires or
on Twitter @anitamathias1.

8 comments:

  1. tweak, tweak, tweak..It is so hard to give all for The All, to trust when things are uncertain. It is a struggle, a constant battle- every single day.

    tweak, tweak, tweak,trusting He will come and meet me, and help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, me too!
      Thanks for the comment, Sheena

      Delete
  2. The stairway to heaven imagery is rich in Gospel truth. The text says the stairway rises from earth to heaven, not descends from heaven to earth. This is because of Jesus' incarnation; we now - right this moment and always - sit in the heavenly realms with him because he came to take us there. (Eph. 2:6.) Which makes me think that trying to align myself with Christ is not the gospel life at all.

    It is because his Spirit lives within in me that I am aligned with him. No tweaking required. I may do things that aren't in line with God's will, but as Paul said that is the flesh, not my new nature. (Rom 7.) And it is the new nature that is alive, because that is the life that Christ lives through me.

    Attempts to do more for him in order to make myself more like him or in line with him are fruitless. Abiding in him as he bears fruit in me wand through me is what builds up the kingdom of God. (Jn 15.)

    Blessings,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these thoughts, Anita. One part that really struck me was this: "Because we can only be in one place. We are either in the waterfall of God’s goodness and favour, or we are not." I LOVE that waterfall image, and I want to say, yes, we can only be in one place, and that IS where we are! Totally showered with His love. That's beautiful -- I don't always feel it, but I know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " Totally showered with His love. I don't always feel it, but I know it."
      Yes, indeed, thanks Jeannie!

      Delete
  4. It's been such a treat to have you here today, Anita! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I look forward to reading more of your reflections on your blog.

    Love & Blessings!
    Adriana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adriana, thank you so much for hosting me :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana