Thursday, February 26, 2015

Update on my time spent resting in green pastures


Dear Friend,

There are seasons of life when we have to batten down the hatches, tuck ourselves away, hibernate and heal.

Last September I had surgery on my foot. And now, five months later, it feels as though life is finally starting to return to a normal rhythm.

Except that I'm not yet able to take the long country walks I love so much . . .

I'll need to have my other foot repaired in the future -- for now, it's a slow steady pace with a slight limp.

And it's enough.

"All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well."
 -- Julian of Norwich

This time of physical healing has also been a season of spiritual healing. There have been moments of reconciliation. As gentle hands served, old misunderstandings were cleared away and love grew in places where it had once failed to thrive.


Last fall at the silent retreat, dear women -- some of them strangers -- made me comfortable by propping up my fragile foot and bringing me food and drink.

My friend Ana broke the silence to whisper,"Just receive." 

Such compassionate words! Words of communion: Just receive.

"He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake."
Psalm 23:2-3 

"I knowed you wasn't well. Why you try to hide it?"
"I didn't want to be trouble to anyone," I said.
"Everybody has to be trouble to somebody. And you just come from the hospital too." 
I looked up. She sat in the rocking chair bent forward, her arms folded at ease across her aproned lap. Had she searched my pockets?
"How did you know that?" I said.
"There you go getting suspicious," she said sternly. "That's whats wrong with the world today, don't nobody trust nobody. I can smell that hospital smell on you, son. You got enough ether on those clothes to put to sleep a dog!"
~Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man  
I've been missing my blog. I've tried to fire things back up a few times, but the return to normal after a few months off my foot has been a bit of a challenge. I've had a lot of catching up to do! Thank you for reading. And thank you so much to those of you who have noticed my absence and checked in from time to time. I'm as excited as ever about moving forward with my quest. It's wonderful to have faithful readers to come back to.


I'm currently halfway through Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. Then I'll have just five more titles to go and I'll be finished with the WEM novel list. After that I hope to carve out more time to write about what I've read so far. I'm also looking forward to receiving my copy of Pioneer Girl by Laura Ingalls Wilder. In June I'll revisit To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee in anticipation for the release of Go Set a Watchman in July. These titles are pretty much set in stone for me in the coming months. 



Are you making time for deep reading? Don't forget to prop up your feet from time to time. Sip and nibble on delicious, nourishing things.

And if it is your season to receive, don't fight it. 

Just receive.

With love,

Adriana

11 comments:

  1. Glad to see fb and blog activity, you and yours have been on my mind lately and I have been praying for you.
    I had to pick a book for one of my kiddos to read and I picked a couple up for myself. I have Pioneer Girl on hold at the library but I have to wait my turn.
    Just receive, a.challenge for the Mommas but something we need to do when we need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you so much for the prayers, Melissa.

      Yes, it is a challenge for Moms to "just receive"! I wonder if that's why the Good Shepherd MAKES us lie down in those green pastures now and then.

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear from you, Adriana. It sounds like this has been a wonderful season for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, It's been a wonderful season in an odd way, yes. But I've missed connecting with my fairy blog-mother. I think about you every day. You are in my prayers. I'd love to sit down with a cup of tea and get all caught up on your blog soon! That Jane Eyre/ Dr. Seus post was brilliant. After I get things again rolling here I'd love to post that as a guest post! May I please?

      Delete
    2. Sure - that would be fun! :-) We should Skype sometime - that would be even more fun.

      "Fairy blog-mother" cracks me up -- now where did I put my magic wand....

      Delete
    3. I don't have a magic wand, but some people seem to think that I have a magic gavel that can make everything all better by the time they leave the courthouse!

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy you're back blogging again. XO I've missed you!! I can only imagine how hard it's been to be dependent on the kindness of others while you healed. XO "Just receive" is a beautiful thing to remember and rest in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you too, Krista. I hope you are well and receiving all the rest you need. You've been working hard lately! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of your new book! So exciting!

      Delete
  4. "Just receive" is gospel-filled advice, Adriana. I was at a writer's conference last weekend and one seminar leader who's also a pastor told us he sometimes reminds the congregation "unclench, just unclench."

    I'm doing some unclenching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such good advice, Tim. I'm glad to know you're heeding it. :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi, Adriana. I've been on a little hiatus myself, which explains why I am just now seeing this most recent post of yours (which I still always look forward to). Anyway, I am excited for you that you are almost through your WEM novels. I soaked in Invisible Man. I hope you feel like writing about Pioneer Girl. It may be a long time before I get to read it, but it is on my TBR list.

    Thank you for your lovely posts. Glad to hear you are healing. Cling to God who gives strength (and wisdom) to those who lean on Him.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana