Monday, August 29, 2016

The Parable of the Good Samaritan: A Guest Post for a Friend


The Good Samaritan, Paula Modersohn-Becker


On Sunday mornings I assist my husband in teaching Sunday school to a group of 4th, 5th, and 6th grade boys. We usually have about ten boys in class, but yesterday we got a surprise when the girls from the classroom next door joined us! Their teachers weren't able to make it, so we ended up with 23 kids altogether. I love helping with this age group and I was especially happy to get to know the girls a bit.

Our lesson was on the Good Samaritan from Luke 10. My husband Joe asked for a volunteer to read the passage. A petite girl with red hair and freckles was the first to raise her hand. Joe called on her to read. I'll call her "Red."

Red's voice was soft. Right from the start she struggled to sound out the words. After a few minutes I thought she might give up and let someone else take over, but she plodded on through the entire passage. The boys squirmed. Some of the kids exchanged awkward smiles with each other. There were long pauses between Red's words and it was hard to hear most of what she read.

But it was okay.

Actually, it was more than okay -- it was wonderful! I'm not sure if any of the kids picked up on what I saw, but Jesus underscored His message to me because there was a "Good Samaritan" right by Red's side. I'll call her "Sam."

(Read the rest at my friend Tim's blog, Just One Train Wreck After Another.)





4 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me run this as a guest post, Adriana. I love the way you describe Red and Sam, and the way this displayed the parable in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, now that I see that you and Jeannie have left comments for me here I feel like my return to blogging is completely bonafide. It just wouldn't be the same for me here without you two! :-)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful example of love in action this is. May we all be this kind of encouragement to other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Amen, friend. It takes special intuition to deliver encouragement at just the right moment and in a spirit of humility. Love in action, truly.

      Delete

Comments make my day! I read each one and try to respond within 24 hrs. If you choose to comment anonymously, please leave your first name, pen name, or nickname in the comment box along with your comment. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Blessings,

Adriana